[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Model Train Club Forum • View topic - How to Remove paint?

How to Remove paint?

Ask Your Model Railroading Questions Here or Start A Discussion

Sponsor

How to Remove paint?

Unread postby newbie » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:19 am

Hello fellow members, I have a question in which I would like some help with.

I recently bought a marklin engine off ebay, it was resonably cheap but I notice someone has repainted it rather poorly. What can I use to take the paint off without doing damage to plastic.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

Re: How to Remove paint?

Unread postby kiwirail » Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:54 am

Me I prefer 90% isopropyl alcohol in an ultrasonic bath type cleaner I got secondhand for $8 - I was lucky, but you may pick up a small one on Ebay cheap.

The thing to watch for is the ultrasonic bath cleaner builds up heat if left on, so be careful. It can wreck stuff, but works well if you use it right. Otherwise try a toothbrush to rub on isopropyl alcohol.

Another option for paint removal you can also try is:
A cheap brake fluid (the automotive type) - wipe it on with a rag and remove the old paint.I wouldn't soak your complete engine in it though :roll:
kiwirail
Site Admin

Unread postby CapeJim » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 am

Hi Newbie,

Kiwirail's tip works in a lot of cases, even if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner (but do have a dish/container deep enough for your loco). One precaution, however, is to remove the locomotive's shell from the chassis first, as motors might not clean up well... :o That may involve some disassembly, so check and see if there are tabs to lift, screws to undo, etc. to remove the shell from the main chassis (and the motor assembly). You may need, depending on your model and brand, to do some hand work carefully on parts of the chassis where there may be paint close to the motor/wiring.

Even with the isopropyl alcohol, you may still need to take an old toothbrush to get the paint out of grooves, nooks and crannies. I had a water tower (given to me) which the alcohol barely fazed, and I went to Scalecoat (commercial product), which got more off in my case. I didn't think I had enough Scalecoat (and/or was too cheap to spring for another bottle of it), but by rotating the item every few hours (and using the toothbrush on the exposed part while the rest was soaking), I got almost all of the paint off so it was ready for repainting.

Hope that helps.

CapeJim
CapeJim

Unread postby Nighttrain » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:31 am

The following will work:
Brake fluid,
Isopropyl alcohol,
Scalecoat brand paint remover.

As with any of the above products:
Remove the plastic body from the chassis.
First test a small area on the body to determine if crazing of the plastic could occur
Always perform the work in a well ventilated area and away from open flames
A bristle toothbrush is a good tool to have to get in and around crevices, rivet lines, and molded on handrails
Work slow
Thoroughly wash the body and let dry before painting

BobYard Maintence-01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nighttrain

Return to Model Railroad Discussion