[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 1042: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Model Train Club Forum • View topic - Building a layout with very little space

Building a layout with very little space

Ask Your Model Railroading Questions Here or Start A Discussion

Sponsor

Building a layout with very little space

Unread postby cptreft » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:41 am

I'm in a quandary here, I am restarting the hobby and have very little space in my home. When I was growing up as a boy, I had a large basement area to build my layout, but my mother decided that my layout would be a better folding table than for my silly toys. :o Now I am a grown man with my own home and a somewhat understanding wife who bought my a HO set about three year's ago. The problem is the lack of a large basement. SO I ask this question, I can make a 4x3 foot area in my office for a layout but that is it. I do not want just a oval shape either. I would like some suggestions so I can decide since I also have a computer background and would like to digitize this layout also. :ugeek:
cptreft

Re: Building a layout with very little space

Unread postby Nighttrain » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:38 am

Hi cptreft
What about a shelf layout? A 12 or 14 inch width and around the walls might work best. In your browser Google "Model Railroad Shelf Layouts" and let your own imagination go to work.

Shelf layouts are easy to construct, wire and scenic....but don't go hammering the track in place or using a hot soldering iron without first protecting the floor below.

May your rails never rust, or your enthusiasm ever rest....

Bob
Yard Maintence-01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nighttrain

Re: Building a layout with very little space

Unread postby ronald » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:00 am

hello cptreft,
my name is ronald and i am an avid 00 man.
i have made and recommended a solution to limited space problems in the past.
you may be aware of the old system of clothes dryers..........the type where one hung ones clothes on a multi rack and by a pulley system raised same to ceiling height...well out of the way.
using a similar system to raise a solid board layout your only limits would be the ceiling area available and the height of the room.
hope this helps.

ronald.
ronald

Return to Model Railroad Discussion