Track Roadbed

Ask Your Model Railroading Questions Here or Start A Discussion

Sponsor

Track Roadbed

Unread postby NScaler » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:05 pm

Just wondering if masonite is the best material for making spline roadbed?
What would be the ideal width to cut spline strips for N Scale?
NScaler

Re: Track Roadbed

Unread postby George » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:06 pm

I'm told spline roadbed can be made out of Homosote or Masonite, or even plywood and other materials like PVC pipe. Use screws with the spline. A 2.5" screw through the spline going deep into the top of the riser seems to work.
George

Unread postby trainfanatic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:34 am

Hi
I generally use 1/4" thick Masonite.

The ideal width for N scale would be between 3/4 and 1" wide also remember the longer the spline strips are, the easier they are to work with and the less joins there will be in the finished spline. This also relates to the less joins you have the stronger the spline will be. Also if I cut at 1" wide I can get 46 strips of spline from a 4' x 8' sheet of masonite.
trainfanatic

Unread postby donxr » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:17 am

I keep reading about products like Masonite. I have gone to 3/4" pink insulation board. There hardest part of using this is cutting the angle for inclines. If you are going any distance without support under it, it will sag and can break if you lean on it. I do not have long distances and where I might I am using 2" wall insulation. I glue the pieces together and while the glue is wet bend to shape and use clamps to hold together and nails or screws to hold the curve until dry. So far this is working well. I do use 3 or 4 pieces together depending on span and number of tracks (N-Scale).

I was looking for something as light weight as possible where I did not need a saw. I am also designing and building the layout to break apart for moving in the future. The layout is currently split into 2 - 4x4 and 1 - 3x4 sections with rail joints at the section separation points. I need to do this because I did not want to a=have to destroy the layout once I move in the future and I will be moving. The layout in on 2" foam board glued to wood frames that have dowels that hold the entire layout on a table.
donxr

Unread postby riggsdog » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:15 pm

I have n gauge track that is fastened to homosote board.... the track contracts and expands with temp. change in my baement.... what can i do to prevent this from happening ????
riggsdog

Unread postby ozrail » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:58 am

riggsdog more people might see your question if you use the new topic button to open new discussion on homosote board. Your question is a bit lost at the end of someone elses question. Just trying to be helpful.
ozrail

Return to Model Railroad Discussion